Saturday, February 6, 2016

The first cut...

Some time ago, I wrote a emotional post on pruning.
And, it started like this:

"Pruning is a necessary evil if you have a green thumb.  No one likes to mention it since it is a lot of work and makes your plants look like crap, but it is necessary for growth..."

See: http://lefarmcountryfrenchproduce.blogspot.com/
2013/03/make-overs-on-farm.html

Back then, I was a nymph and I hated pruning; 

or at least the thought of it and the massive destruction and devastation 
it left in its wake.
My blueberry and blackberry bushes were at the peak of production.  
I worked too hard to make those little money makers grow!

Now, years later, I have grown up,
 and completely changed my mind on the subject.

Completely. Utterly. Changed.

As a matter of fact, 

I now believe, pruning is one of the very best acts of kindness you can do.
"The first cut is the deepest hardest"...

(For the record, Rod Stewart's version is by far the best.)

It is consistent with the principles of sustainability.
It's right up there in importance with being a good steward of the land.
It is "The Regulator of all Regulators" on a farm.
It is an art form.
Bravo!

I'm just gonna say it....

"It is f*cking AWESOME!"

Everything that is pruned (if done properly and at the right time), 

grows back healthier, stronger, and better equipped to fight disease.

I am still amazed, time and time again, at the results.

It is as if I can't believe my own eyes.

Ok, 
Back to the important stuff...

In fact, without pruning, a fruit-bearing plant will eventually stop producing all together.  
It may take years to do this, but ultimately spindly, 
weak branches replace the healthy growth, leaving it more susceptible to disease, 
and production will diminish, or even cease.


If you don't know what you are doing but know you need to start pruning,
 YouTube has a wealth of knowledge to share 
and seeing it done is extremely helpful.

Take this expertly done video on blueberry pruning:
What a fine example of when and how to prune.

I have mastered the art of  "reading" my bushes after all these years, 
knowing when and how much to cut back.  
You learn.

Speaking of that, right up the road from Le Farm, in Bishopville, SC.,
lives a famous modern day "pruner".  
His beautiful handiwork is displayed for all to enjoy.  
Tucked away down an unsuspecting residential street, 
you'll stumble upon his collection of
whimsical  maddness mastery.
And, you can see a glimpse of it scattered throughout the tiny town.
If you don't know about him, you need to check out the
utter fabulousness of Pearl Fryar right here;


I bet if I asked Pearl he'd agree with me 100%.
Pruning, is where it's at.
Don't be afraid to try it.
And,
you may even earn f*cking yard of the month.















No comments:

Post a Comment